top of page

Middle Street Synagogue

Completed in 1875, Middle Street Synagogue was dedicated by Chief Rabbi Nathan Adler z"l. The site contained a house for the minister and a mikveh (religious bath). The original building, a fairly plain affair, was designed by Thomas Lainson. However, thanks to the generosity of the Rothschilds, Sassoons and others, the building was adorned until by about 1914 it became one of the most spectacular interiors in Brighton. 

Although no longer functioning as a regular place of worship, the synagogue has found a second life as a site for education of adults and children. It is also used for non-secular concerts and weddings are still occasionally held there.

To visit this site please contact the Shul Office for information about the next Open Day. To find Middle Street Synagogue:-

The glorious decor of Middle Street Synagogue

The web page background feature the splendid rose window. Below are pictures of some of the magnificent gold leafed capitals

The Ner Tamid (Eternal Light). This was donated to the synagogue in 1876 by Mr. Benjamin Lewis.

bottom of page