Middle Street Synagogue 27-11-2008

Going Green

We want to cut down on paper. If you are a BHHC member and would prefer to receive future newsletters by e-mail please send us your name and your current email details. Click here and email Martin. This should also save on unnecessary expenses which can go to better use.

Participate

We actively encourage feedback and participation in sustaining and supporting the community. Get in touch!

News

We are delighted to announce the completion of Phase I of major restoration works to the world-class historic Middle Street Synagogue.

UPDATE - SEPTEMBER 2009

Middle Street Synagogue: Open Day

Heritage Open Day: "One of Europe's Greatest Synagogues". In 1874, a project for a new synagogue in Brighton was put out to tender. It was won by Thomas Lainson, a well-known local architect and the new synagogue opened in 1875. The exterior has been described as both Byzantine and Romanesque and looks slightly out of place in its side street home. The interior, described by Anthony Dale as amongst the most splendid synagogue interiors in Europe, it certainly is quite spectacular.

Sun 13 Sep:1400-1630. Free Entry.

UPDATE - MARCH 2009

The mammoth works project continues. Click here for a detailed view of the site as it presently appears!

PRESS RELEASE

DATE: NOVEMBER 2008

BRIGHTON SYNAGOGUE RESTORATION PROJECT COMMENCES

The Board of Directors of the Brighton and Hove Hebrew Congregation are pleased to announce that with the encouragement and generous financial support of ENGLISH HERITAGE and other donors, restoration of the historic Grade 2* synagogue in Middle Street Brighton is to commence shortly and will continue through the first half of 2009.

The initial phase of the work - the focus of the English Heritage grant - is to ensure that the fabric of the building will be stabilised and once again be weatherproof and watertight. A second phase, for which funds are urgently sought, will concentrate on returning the magnificent High Victorian interior to its former glory.

The presence of Jewish residents in Brighton was first recorded in 1766 and Jewish places of worship have existed from about 1790 onwards.

The synagogue in Middle Street opened in 1875 when this unique building, designed by prominent local architect Thomas Lainson, was consecrated by the Chief Rabbi, Dr N M Adler.

Considered from the outset to be a worthy addition to Brighton’s already comprehensive stock of architectural treasures, and although plainer then, the interior decoration was greatly enhanced over the next 40 years by munificent donations from many of Anglo-Jewry’s leading families, most notably the Sassoons and the Rothschilds.

What the visitor sees today behind the synagogue’s restrained Italianate exterior is, in the words of the Director of Jewish Heritage UK, Dr Sharman Kadish, ’a riot of marble, brass, mosaic, stencilling, gilding and stained glass’ [Jewish Heritage in England - publ. English Heritage, 2006].

Expertly assessed as having ’after the Royal Pavilion, the most spectacular interior in Brighton’, Middle Street Synagogue is widely considered to be one of the finest small European synagogues of any period.

Issued by ROMSS [Restoration of Middle Street Synagogue]
Brighton & Hove Hebrew Congregation, 29/31 New Church Road, Hove, East Sussex BN3 4AD
Tel: 01273 729213
e-mail: office@bhhc-shul.org

Main Middle Street Website: Click here